Senior Software Engineer
Back to Open Positions
We are looking for an exceptional Senior Software Engineer, with experience in building open source software and leading a team, to help us build the next generation of transformational mobile products.
If you’re highly skilled with innovative, unique development ideas, and an analytical, trouble-shooting mindset, we want you to join the Praekelt Consulting development team.
As a senior member of our team, you will lead a team that works on exceptional projects, as well as contributing to our open source product development. You’ll be kept busy implementing core product functionality and deploying world-class architectures, but you’ll still need to find time to lead, motivate and inspire a team, as well as engage with the different teams within our organisation. You should be fanatical about clean, concise, readable code and ensuring that this drive is shared within your team.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Lead a software development team to build on and extend our core technology stack on which all our programmes are built.
- Proactively contribute to Praekelt’s long-term vision for core technologies and architecture.
- Proactively contribute to the open source communities that Praekelt is establishing around its various open source initiatives.
- Advise on and/or contribute to new or emerging technologies that might be relevant to Praekelt.
- Commit to test-driven software development methodologies wherever applicable
- Work well within cross functional teams in order to produce world class products and programmes that empower end users.
- An honours degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- At least 5 years experience as a developer with expertise in Python and Django development
- Experience with Twisted or other event driven programming frameworks
- At least 1 year’s experience in building and leading development teams, with an interest in mentoring of team members
- Experience using Git for revision control, and GitHub.
- Commitment to test-driven software development methodologies and a willingness to write software that allows itself to be tested
- Passionate about the mobile space, enabling you to advise on and/or contribute to new or emerging technologies that might be relevant to Praekelt
- Ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities to internal and external partners
- Sees the bigger picture and must be a team-player
- Must possess good people management skills, integrity, energy and creativity.
What will set you apart from other applicants?
Experience in, and knowledge of, software development process with experience of the scrum / agile methodologies being useful. You are passionate about the digital industry and an avid consumer of digital media - always in the know about the latest trends, technologies and platforms. The ability to think strategically, act quickly, multi-task and work collaboratively in an environment that values creativity and flexibility. You have experience in Machine learning, Data analytics, Natural Language Processing or implementing large scale, high volume systems.
Want to join the team as a senior software engineer?
We would love to speak to you. Please remember to attach your CV to the mail and include the reasons your feel you’d be well suited for the position.
Praekelt is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or disability.