Back to Open Positions
We’re looking for a Technical Manager with experience in the software development process, business analysis and a good understanding of the scrum / agile methodologies.
You will take responsibility for engineering delivery on highly technical projects, providing support in defining requirements and managing complex technical projects, as well as providing project management liaison between the Client Partner, Engineering teams and client IT teams.
Key Focus Areas
- Technical Project Management – Provide technical project management support for large-scale projects from brief through to delivery QA set-up & roll out;
- Technical Documentation – Read, review, write technical documentation including functional specifications, API documentation and other integration documents;
- Liaison with client and third party technical teams - regular meetings with other IT teams to plan, execute and review technical integration or collaboration;
- Production – Operational management of the live platform installations as well as post-launch production support, including assistance with production incidents and resolution thereof in conjunction with the Engineering and SRE teams.
- Management of allocated projects which require a high level of technical skill, including:
- Managing delivery of planned features while supporting existing clients;
- Attending meetings with clients and agencies to assist Client Partners in clearly communicating the technical aspects of such projects, as well as introducing Praekelt products to new and existing clients;
- Liaising with Development teams in order to ensure that projects are correctly briefed in and monitored to completion, and providing clarity to the Client Partners on technical issues raised by the developers;
- Act as the single point of contact between Client Partners and the Engineering team to provide:
- Analysis and input on Concept Notes, Scopes of Work and project briefs;
- Assistance with costing of projects to ensure all technical elements are correctly budgeted for;
- Scheduling of appropriate timelines to ensure sufficient time is scheduled for development, code reviews and testing;
- Manage the production of the project with the Engineering, Strategy and Client Partner teams in accordance with Praekelt's Ways of Working;
- Operational management of the live platform installations;
- Post-launch production support including assistance with production incidents and resolution thereof in conjunction with the Engineering and SRE teams.
- Contribute to the Engineering Team - Developers, Site Reliability Engineers as well as other Project Managers - to provide input into the team’s processes as well as continually improving Praekelt’s project delivery process.
- In possession of a graduate qualification in relevant field - preferably Computer Science
- Project management experience on interactive or technology-driven projects in an external client-facing environment
- Experience working with technical teams and using web- and mobile-based technologies and concepts such as Linux, Django or other Open Source frameworks, other web development frameworks, Content Management Systems, PHP, PostgreSQL, MySQL and others.
- Experience with managing partners (internal and external) that are shared among multiple projects and clients
- Ability to identify and assess risks to project timelines, resource budgets and overall success; and then adjust course effectively around rapidly changing information
- Outstanding interpersonal skills for negotiating priorities and resolving conflicts among project stakeholders
- Ability to write and understand technical documentation and briefs
- Can work unsupervised in an unstructured and open environment
- Strong leadership, communications, organization, project planning and negotiation skills
- Ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities to internal and external partners
- Sees the bigger picture and must be a team-player
- Must possess good people management skills, integrity, energy and creativity.
What will set you apart from other applicants?
Your passionate about the digital industry and an avid consumer of digital media - always in the know about the latest trends, technologies and platforms, with a particular focus on mobile technology. Experience in, and knowledge of, software development process with experience of the scrum / agile methodologies being useful. You have excellent skills in building and maintaining client relationships, with an interest in creating enduring partnerships and long term solutions. The ability to think strategically, act quickly, multi-task and work collaboratively in an environment that values creativity and flexibility. You have working experience in the African software industry.
Want to join the team as a technical manager?
We would love to speak to you. Please remember to attach your CV to the mail and include the reasons your feel you’d be well suited for the position.
Praekelt is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or disability.